U Visas


No one should fear reporting their victimization to law enforcement. The federal U Visa program provides victims of certain crimes with non-immigrant status for no longer than four years. If certain conditions are met, U Visa recipients may adjust to lawful permanent resident status.

Application Certification

For crimes committed in Gilpin or Jefferson counties, the First Judicial District Attorney’s Office can certify the appropriate forms and determine whether the required conditions are met. This certification permits an applicant to continue in the process of seeking a U Visa determination but does not guarantee favorable federal immigration results.

To request certification, please submit a completed Form I-918 to [email protected]. You can expect timely communication from our team who will promptly process and review your application.

Please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website to download the latest application forms.


To be eligible for non-immigrant status under the U Visa program, an individual must be the victim of a qualifying crime in Colorado and meet the following requirements:

  • Suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime
  • Have information about the criminal activity*
  • Are helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime* 

*Victims under the age of 16 and those who are unable to provide information or assist law enforcement due to a disability, may have a parent, guardian or next friend participate on their behalf.

Filing for Qualifying Family Members

Eligible participants can also file for certain qualifying family members to be granted temporary non-immigrant status. The victim must have their U Visa application approved before their family members can be eligible for a derivative U Visa.

Qualifying Family Members

  • Victims Under 21: Spouses, Children, Parents, Unmarried Siblings Under 18
  • Victims 21+: Spouses, Children


Applications for qualifying family members should be submitted at the same time as the victim’s application or at a later date. To petition for a qualified family member, the following forms must be submitted: 

  • Form I-918
  • Form-I-918, Supplement A

These and other forms are available along with additional information from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.